Monday, September 28, 2009

10. Preeti's Cabbage with Peanuts

From : " Easy Indian Cooking" by Suneeta Vaswani.
The author notes that if this dish is cooked in advance the peanuts should only be added once ready to serve.


2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 sp mustard seeds
25 to 30 curry leaves
3 to 4 green chilies cut into 2cm pieces
8 cups finely sliced cabbage
3/4 cup finely sliced red of green bell pepper
salt
1/3 cup skinned raw peanuts, dry roasted in skillet


In large wok or skillet, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Cover quickly.

When seeds stopped popping reduce heat to med and add curry leaves and chilies. Saute for 30 sec.

Add cabbage, pepper and salt. Stir-fry until cabbage is softened (3 - 4 min).

fold in peanuts and cook for 1 minute.



I made it for myself tonight. This is a photo of it before I added the peanuts.

It is a simple, fast and delicious dish!

I take liberties with recipes. I don't measure anything (unless I am baking obviously) and I change things to suit what I have or what I feel like using. This time I used dried Guajillo chillies instead of fresh green chilies just because I had them and I had no fresh green chilies. And I just used regular peanuts. It worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment